Design an artistic poster, win money, and see your work all over the region!
Deadline: Postmarked April 15, 2017
Grand Prize: A cash award of $500
Fall for the Book Wants To See Your Artwork!
2017 marks the 19th anniversary of Fall for the Book festival, and we’re putting out a call for a poster for the celebration. The grand prize-winning poster will be a cornerstone of the upcoming festival’s annual marketing campaign and will be seen by thousands. Fall for the Book is one of the oldest and largest literary festivals in the country. The 2016 festival attracted more than 25,000 attendees to venues throughout the DC metro region and was advertised using the poster design by Ben Small (pictured below). Past festivals have featured authors and performers for all ages, including Sandra Cisneros, Diane Rehm, Tim O’Brien, Diana Gabaldon, Jodi Picoult, Richard Russo, David Baldacci, Dave Barry, Cheryl Strayed, Sonia Sanchez, Alice Walker, Neil Gaiman, Michael Chabon, Rita Dove, Katherine Boo, Stephen King, Amy Tan, Ann Patchett, Chinua Achebe, Sherman Alexie, Michael Cunningham, E.L. Doctorow, Khaled Hosseini, Sue Miller, Pat Conroy, and Joyce Carol Oates.
The festival planners seek a full-color poster that celebrates the interaction between readers and writers, and calls people’s attention to the festival’s October dates; however, there are two additional requirements this year: the tagline “Read On” and please, no leaves!
The poster will be printed in the summer and distributed throughout the capital region. Entries will be judged by the festival staff. Entries should appear in the same form as the final artwork—hard copy; hi-resolution electronic files will be necessary for reproduction of the winning poster.
The poster must include:
• The Fall for the Book logos
• The festival dates: October 11-14, 2017
• The website (www.fallforthebook.org)
• The tagline “Read On”
• Room for a QR Code, to be inserted later.
Though Fall for the Book does not have a yearly theme, you may want to highlight the following information in your design:
• Four Days
• More than 150 Authors
• Readings, Discussions, Performances & More
• Throughout Northern Virginia, D.C., and Maryland
Please, as mentioned above, no leaves.
You can find out more about the festival by exploring the festival website and our app, available in iTunes and GooglePlay.
Electronic files of the 2017 logo can be obtained by contacting Suzy Rigdon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Artwork must be 11” x 17” and can be vertical or horizontal. Do not matte or frame artwork.
• All two-dimensional media are accepted, including computer-generated images. Note: Chalk, charcoal and pastel entries should be sealed with a fixative spray to prevent smearing. Do not laminate entries.
• Three-dimensional entries will not be accepted.
• While collaborations are welcome, collaborators must split the prize money.
• Artists may submit multiple posters. You may send all your posters in one package.
• Participants accept all responsibility for late, lost, misdirected or illegible entries. Entries sent with insufficient postage will be disqualified. Fall for the Book is not responsible for entries damaged, destroyed or lost during the judging process.
• Fall for the Book reserves the right to alter the final poster design or to reject all submissions for the final poster design.
• All submissions become the property of Fall for the Book and may be used for commercial purposes. No entries will be returned, so please keep all your files and/or scan your work.
• In consideration for the opportunity to enter the Fall for the Book Poster Contest, participants agree to allow Fall for the Book to use their names and photographs for promotional and publicity purposes.
• Finalists may be asked for additional materials including a disk or CD of all poster files.
IMPORTANT: Entries must include the artist’s name, address, phone number, and valid e-mail address on the back of each poster. Only original artwork will be considered. Please do not use copyrighted images or materials.
All submissions must be mailed to:
Fall for the Book Festival
English Department – MS3E4
George Mason University
Fairfax, VA 22030
Deadline: Postmarked April 15, 2017
Please contact Suzy Rigdon at email@example.com with any questions.