Deadline Extended: Postmarked by May 15, 2020 – Due to Virginia’s Stay-at-Home Order, we are now accepting digital submissions.
Fall for the Book is an independent non-profit literary arts organization that promotes reading by sponsoring a variety of year-round events and activities, the flagship of which is the Fall for the Book festival.
Thousands of readers will celebrate Fall for the Book this October 7-10, 2020, and we want your artwork to help us promote this special, free event.
The festival is seeking a full-color poster that celebrates the interaction between readers and writers, and calls people’s attention to the festival’s name, logo, and our October dates. We’re looking for eye-catching designs, so don’t be afraid to be bold and dynamic. Try something new.
The poster will be printed in the summer and distributed throughout the capital region, and will appear as the cover of the printed festival. For the program, we place 4-5 author photos on the cover (i.e. on your design), so please leave some space where photos might fit. Entries will be judged by the festival staff. Entries should appear in the same form as the final artwork—hard copy. Hi-resolution electronic files will be necessary for reproduction of the winning poster.
The winning designer receives a $500 prize.
The poster must include:
- The Fall for the Book logo (either horizontal or square) should be a prominent part of the design
- The festival dates: October 7-10, 2020
- 4 Days | 150 Authors
- The website (fallforthebook.org)
Though Fall for the Book does not have a yearly theme, you may want to highlight the following information in your design:
- The tagline “Read On”
- Readings, Discussions, Performances & More
- Northern Virginia
Suggestions for your design: Fall for the Book offers a writer for every reader, covering a variety of topics and genres. Experiment and have fun with your designs. We get excited about connections between readers, books, and the world. We encourage you to keep in mind that this festival is for a broad spectrum of readers, including adults and children. Please do not submit Halloween-themed entries. You can find out more about the festival by exploring the festival website.
Electronic files of the 2020 logo can be obtained by contacting Kate Lewis at email@example.com. Please feel free to change the logo’s color to fit your design.
- Artwork must be 11” x 17” and can be vertical or horizontal. Do not matte or frame artwork.
- All two-dimensional media are accepted, including computer-generated images. Note: Chalk, charcoal and pastel entries should be sealed with a fixative spray to prevent smearing. Do not laminate entries.
- Three-dimensional entries will not be accepted.
- While collaborations are welcome, collaborators must split the prize money.
- Artists may submit multiple posters. You may send all your posters in one package.
- Participants accept all responsibility for late, lost, misdirected or illegible entries. Entries sent with insufficient postage will be disqualified. Fall for the Book is not responsible for entries damaged, destroyed or lost during the judging process.
- Fall for the Book reserves the right to alter the final poster design or to reject all submissions for the final poster design.
- All submissions become the property of Fall for the Book and may be used for commercial purposes. No entries will be returned, so please keep all your files and/or scan your work.
- In consideration for the opportunity to enter the Fall for the Book Poster Contest, participants agree to allow Fall for the Book to use their names and photographs for promotional and publicity purposes.
- Finalists may be asked for additional materials including all poster files.
- Winner may be asked to make minor changes to the design. Festival staff may also collaborate with the winner to adapt the poster for additional marketing materials.
Entries must include the artist’s name, address, phone number, and valid e-mail address on the back of each poster. Only original artwork will be considered. Please do not use copyrighted images or materials.
Mail your submission to:
12025 New Dominion Pkwy, #404
Reston, VA 20190
Due to Virginia’s Stay-at-Home Order, we are now accepting digital submissions as well. Please send your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org.