Institute for Immigration Research
New American Voices Award
Founded in 2018, Fall for the Book and the Institute for Immigration Research created an award to recognize recently published works that illuminate the complexity of the human experience as told by immigrants, whose work is historically underrepresented in writing and publishing.
Three jurors will judge all entries for the 2023 New American Voices Award and choose three finalists and then award the prize to one. Finalists will be announced in summer 2023 and all three finalists and the judges will appear at the Fall for the Book festival in October 2023 for the fifth annual presentation and read from and discuss their work. The winning writer will receive $5,000 and the two finalists each will receive $1,000.
Sindya Bhanoo Wins 5th Annual New American Voices Award
“The stories … are both fierce and tender, suffused with longing but also unsparing in their exploration of the dynamics among family members, loved ones, and cultures. Bhanoo is an immensely talented writer who packs deep emotional punches into stories told economically and with elegant restraint.” – Judge Christopher Castellani
2022 New American Voices Award Winner and Finalists
Past Winners and Finalists
Submit to the Award
- Starting December 1, 2022, publishers can enter immigrant writers* who have published no more than three books.
- Entries must be prose: literary fiction or creative nonfiction. Please no journalism, plays, anthologies, or poetry.
- Eligible books must have been (or will be) published between October 1, 2022 and September 30, 2023.
- Four bound copies of the book (galleys/ARCs are acceptable) must be postmarked March 31, 2023 and sent to Kara Oakleaf at 4400 University Drive, MS 3E4, Fairfax, VA 22030, along with a $20 entry fee. Checks can be made out to Fall for the Book, Inc.; entry fee may also be paid online here.
- While we prefer print copies of the books, if you do not have access to them during this time of social distancing, we will now accept books digitally. Please email them to kara [at] fallforthebookorg
*Writers should be immigrants to the U.S., living in the States. They can be first generation by either definition of the term (born elsewhere and immigrated to the U.S., or born in the states to parents who immigrated to the U.S.) Questions? Contact Kara Oakleaf – kara[@]fallforthebook.org